RE: A Few Questions

> In message
> <36B49EEC.BeroList-2.5.2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jeff
> Grossman" writes:
>
> > I am installing Leafnode and have a few questions.  I am running it
> > on Linux with the 2.0.36 kernel.
>
> RedHat?

Yes

> > 1.  Where do I put this config file that I created?  Plus, what
> do I call
> > it?
>
> /usr/lib/leafnode/config

Okay, thanks

> > 2.  I noticed there was a line in the config.example that talks
> > about a free open server.  I only want to allow users that are on my
> > system to access the news server.  And who are connected to the
> > server locally.  How do I set that up?
>
> You read the manuals for the tcp-wrappers. (/etc/hosts.allow and
> /etc/hosts.deny).

I found that after I sent the e-mail.

> > 3.  I have never set up cron before.  I need a little help.  I added the
> > line:
> > 0 4 * * * /usr/local/sbin/texpire
>
> If you have redhat, do it in the /etc/cron.{daily,hourly} directories,
> Plain, executable shell scripts.

Do I need to put anything in the file besides the filename?  What is the "0
4 * * *" for?  Or do I just put "/usr/local/sbin/texpire" and
"/usr/local/sbin/fetch" in the file?

> > to the cron file.  But it talks about adding fetch there also.  I have a
> > full time connection and want Fetch to run at least every hour,
> but would
> > prefer more often.  How do I set something like that up?
>
> I have an analog leased line at speed of 28800 and run it one an
> hour. If you need it more than that you probably need a mainstream
> news server anyway.

I have a 1.5M DSL line.  I do not want to pay for a mainstream provider when
I have an NNTP server with my ISP provider.  But would prefer to hold
articles on my local machine.  Does INN work the same way as Leafnode?  Or
does it only work if you have a mainstream provider that is sending you
articles?

Thanks for your time.

Jeff