Re: Two More Problems

Jeff Grossman (jeff@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Cornelius Krasel (krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > Jeff Grossman (jeff@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > > 2.  Jan 31 16:56:07 apple leafnode[4041]: illegal article:
> > > /var/spool/news/comp/mail/pine/87
> >
> > [more similar messages snipped]
> >
> > I would definitely interested to see some of those. Unfortunately
> > leafnode up to 1.8.1 usually deletes those files immediately. They do
> > not contain any proper information, and I don't know how they are
> > created.
>
> I am getting these all over the place.  Just today I had cron send me mail
> at least 5 times with illegal articles in it.  It is a bummer that Leafnode
> does not do a better job of trying to fix the problem.

Leafnode cannot extract any sensible information out of the file so it
will delete it. Usually the message means the file is either corrupted
or empty. You should try to investigate whether you get these empty
files from your upstream server or whether you have a corrupted news
spool. I have not seen this message in months. (That's why I am so
interested in it.)

--Cornelius.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: phak004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  SP4 */