Segmentation fault panics

Last night my machine ran out of disc space, and fetch tried to run. Now
whenever I do a fetch manually, it seg faults on me.

[root@pearl news]# /usr/local/sbin/fetch -vvv
1.9: verbosity level is 3
Trying to connect to news.demon.co.uk ... connected.
Getting new newsgroups from news.demon.co.uk
Read server info from /var/spool/news/leaf.node/news.demon.co.uk
alt.folklore.computers: considering articles 26748-26844
alt.folklore.computers: 0 articles fetched, 0 killed
Segmentation fault

I've tried turning debugging information on, but nothing out of the ordinary
seems to be happening in the system log.

The most noticable strange happening is that active.read is zero-length. (trn
says to contact the news administrator and hope things come back to normal.
Ha.) Is there a way of rebuilding it automatically, that won't affect message
numbering?

In case that's not it, I've been studying the other database files; I've
managed to get it to regenerate the .overview files, so that's not the
problem; there are no suspicious zero-length files in the spool, so that's not
it; the only other thing I can think of is the message-id directory, but I
can't find a way of regenerating it.

+- David Given ---------------McQ-+ Q. How much wood would a woodchuck chuck
+- http://wired.st-and.ac.uk/~dg -+ chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could.