Huge numbers of slow, spurious discards ...

I'm using leafnode-1.9.2, and now I'm getting huge quantities of slow,
spurious discards when `fetch' is running.  Hundreds, if not thousands
of lines like these are appearing in my syslog (I'm splitting each
line at the word "Subject" and indenting so this will fit in a news
message, but in actuality, each is one long line):

  Mar 15 18:19:23 home fetch[12131]: Discarding article 34298