Re: Huge numbers of slow, spurious discards ...

Roland Hofmann-Tikkanen <roland.hofmann-tikkanen@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Greg Weeks wrote:
> >
> > Lloyd Zusman wrote:
> > >

> > >   Mar 15 18:19:23 home fetch[12131]: Discarding article 34298
> > >      Subject: Waiting for a process to finish? - older than 10 days
> >
> > > Can anyone shed any light as to what's happening here, and how to
> > > prevent it?
> >
> > I think I can explain what happened. When you start accessing a new
> >
> > numbers are for the upstream server it's fetching from by the way.
> >
> > Greg Weeks
> > --
> >
> And you can avoid (reduce) this by setting "initialfetch"
> in the conf-file to a
> small number (I have initialfetch = 100)

I have `initialfetch' set to an even smaller number: 1 ... but this
problem still occurs.  According to an earlier post here, this happens
because `initialfetch' variable is used only for the first server a
newsgroup is found in.  If multiple servers are being used, and if the
newsgroup in question appears in more than one of them, the variable
is ignored for the subsequent servers.

I'm using three servers, which is why I see this problem.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@xxxxxxxxxx