Re: Huge numbers of slow, spurious discards ...

"David Given" <david_given@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> [...]
> >I have `initialfetch' set to an even smaller number: 1 ... but this
> >problem still occurs.  According to an earlier post here, this happens
> >because `initialfetch' variable is used only for the first server a
> >newsgroup is found in.  If multiple servers are being used, and if the
> >newsgroup in question appears in more than one of them, the variable
> >is ignored for the subsequent servers.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> You *could* tweak the /var/spool/news/leaf.node/<servername> file so
> it thinks its already processed the articles. You'll need to find
> what range of article numbers the server uses.

Well, to have to do this every time a new newsgroup is accessed is a
bit inconvenient.  After all, leafnode tries to automate a lot of this
for you, and this sort of manual tweaking defeats that purpose.  What
I'd prefer to do is to patch the source code to leafnode so that the
`initialfetch' value is applied to each upstream server, not just the
first one ... or to define a new variable for this purpose.

What do you folks think of these ideas?  I'd like to see what the consensus
is here before doing any design, coding, and patching.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@xxxxxxxxxx