Re: fetch: connection to upstream server fails

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:

> localhost:/root # ping news.frankfurt.netsurf.de
> PING news.frankfurt.netsurf.de (194.64.25.22): 56 data bytes
> ping: sendto: Network is unreachable

Hi, excuse my interrupting,

I just wanted to remind everybody that in these days, a failing ping
(and traceroute) tells you nothing. Every clever provider will have
installed a firewall and probably not allowing ICMP (needed for ping).

To test a connection try e.g.

  telnet news.myprovider.org 119

For instance:

  telnet news.supernews.com 119