rnews for leafnode

Hello folks,

it may be that I have something similar to a working rnews which I would
like to have tested under real-life conditions. People who are interested
to risk the contents of their news spool, please drop me a mail. You
should be familiar with C and willing and able to accumulate debug logs
and possibly do gdb runs. Thanks.

Here is the very preliminary man page:

---snip---
NAME
       rnews - sort batch files into spool

SYNOPSIS
       rnews [-v|D] [file|directory]

DESCRIPTION
       Leafnode  is  a  USENET  package intended for small sites,
       where there are few users and little disk space, but where
       a large number of groups is desired.

       Rnews is the program that sorts files into your newsspool.
       Rnews can currently sort compressed and uncompressed  news
       batches as well as news articles.

       Rnews  can  also  be  applied to a directory; it will then
       open the directory and sort all files inside  this  direc-
       tory  into  the  newsspool.  Rnews  will  not  recursively
       descend through directories.

       Rnews sets its real and effective uid to "news".

OPTIONS
       -v     Be verbose. A maximum of four -v can be used.

       -D     Switch on debugging.

       file   Sort this file into the  newsspool.  The  file  can
              also be a rnews batch, optionally compressed.

       directory
              Sort  the  contents  of  this  directory  into  the
              newsspool.

FILES
       Rnews makes some use of the /tmp directory.

AUTHOR
       Written  by  Cornelius   Krasel   <krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
       wuerzburg.de>.  Copyright 1999.

       Leafnode was originally written by Arnt Gulbrandsen <agul-
       bra@xxxxxxxx> and is  copyright  1995-96  Troll  Tech  AS,
       Postboks  6133  Etterstad,  0602  Oslo,  Norway,  fax  +47
       22646949.

SEE ALSO
       leafnode(8), gzip(1)
---snip---

An implication of this code is that this version of rnews might also
be suitable to sort articles into the news spool that were obtained with
suck, newsflash or the like. I have not tried it yet, though.

--Cornelius.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: phak004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  SP4 */