Re: [leafnode-list] Excessive use of memory - no2

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999 23:32:16 +0200 (MET DST), hai scritto:

>I have never seen a leafnode process which used more than 10 MB of
>RAM on my machine; this depends somewhat on the number of groups that
>you have in your groupinfo file and on the number of articles that
>are in one group.

I had the problem twice in 5 months, but everytime I had to restore all
quickly and couldn't do much testing:
- the first time I cancelled some lines (.overview) from a newly subscribed
newsgroup which had very few lines in .overview.
- the second time the problem was bigger, texpire said that the low watermark
was 2 (for many newsgroups it was 2) and the high watermark was in the order
of 400k for many newsgroups; I had to wipe the entire news spool.

I have 20 newsgroups subscribed, only 5/6 with high traffic (more than 100
messages a day). In config expire is 5.

Could you suggest a way to force this problem to occur systematically in order
I can test it and find a way to limit this with ulimit settings?

Should I edit an .overview and renumber an article with a very lower/bigger
number than the other articles? Should I edit groupinfo too?

Thanks.

--
Giulio
giuliox@xxxxxx