[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[leafnode-list] [Announce:] New beta version of leafnode
For people who dare to test beta versions of software, I hereby
announce leafnode-1.10b1, available from
This version is not linked via the WWW page because it is beta. Please
don't mirror it.
New in this version:
1) Several bugs fixed.
2) Enhanced filtering, written by Lloyd Zusman.
3) New global variables:
- "nonewgroups" suppresses all NEWGROUPS calls to upstream servers
- "archroot" and "archgroup" allow archiving of selected newsgroups
in other directories (courtesy of John Schrader)
4) New program "rnews" which sorts news articles or batches into the
spool. This makes it theoretically possible to use leafnode with UUCP
or to replace fetch with other programs like suck or newsx. (Be aware
that neither of these programs has the functionality of fetch.)
5) New options for fetch: -H and -B to get headers and bodies only
in delaybody mode.
6) German docs (also available separately through the leafnode home page
This version is beta for several reasons:
1) Contains dead code (which I intend to use at some point :-).
2) Lots of warnings during compilation. (Don't report warnings, but
if you know how to get rid of them, I'd be definitely interested!)
3) Lots of undocumented features (worst: new filterfile format is not
well documented - see FILTERS file - but it is backward compatible;
second worst: "archroot" "archgroup" options are not documented either).
4) See also the TODO file.
There are two reasons why I release this version as a public beta:
1) It runs apparently fairly stable on several machines, and I want to
know whether this is also true for an even wider variation of machines.
2) I will be away from my computer during most of May and June and want
to give you the impression that something happened since February :-)
For those of you who sent patches which are not yet included: don't be
angry or sad; but I have a life beside developing leafnode. Your code
sits right on my hard disk and waits for inclusion.
I appreciate all kinds of feedback. If you provide bug reports, try to
include as much information as possible (including debug logs). My spool
partition can bear it...
/* Cornelius Krasel, U Wuerzburg, Dept. of Pharmacology, Versbacher Str. 9 */
/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany email: phak004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx SP4 */
/* "Science is the game we play with God to find out what His rules are." */
leafnode-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- mailing list for leafnode
To unsubscribe, send mail with "unsubscribe" in the subject to the list