RE: [leafnode-list] unable to open lockfile

I just checked my /var/log/news/news.err.  It is empty.

Don't know if this is the problem or not, but my perms on /var/lock/news are
as follows:

drwxrwxr-x   2 news     news         1024 May  4 00:12 news

Try renaming /var/log/news/news.err, changing the perms on /var/lock/news
and then see if you still get the messages in /var/log/news/news.err.

HTH,
Mike