Re: [leafnode-list] "Getting all newsgroups..." takes 2 hours+

Sam Wilson wrote:

> I appear to have successfully dowloaded the groupinfo file (I have
> newsgroups begining with character 3 to z).  I can view the list of
> available groups from inside my news client (rtin).  The first time I
> access a group I get the leafnode placeholder message.  When I start fetch
> I get the following:
>
>  [root@masala leafnode]# fetch -vvvv
>  1.9.2: verbosity level is 4
>  Trying to connect to news.demon.co.uk ... connected.
>  Getting all newsgroups from news.demon.co.uk

I don't know what you did, but check whether you have a file
/var/spool/news/active.read. If not, simply create this file by
doing "touch /var/spool/news/active.read" and set its permissions
to -rw-rw-r--  news:news

fetch checks whether this file exists and whether it is too old. If
the file does not exist or is too old, fetch will get all newsgroups;
otherwise, fetch will get only the new newsgroups (which is a matter
of seconds) and, in this case, sends "getting new newsgroups".

The list of newsgroups can be found in /var/spool/news/leaf.node/groupinfo
(sorted alphabetically).

Perhaps your problem is different, however. I seem to recall that
news.demon.co.uk does not handle the "LIST NEWSGROUPS" command
correctly. Try adding

nodesc = 1

after your server declaration in the config file. (The next version of
leafnode will produce an automatic warning when detecting that the
LIST NEWSGROUPS command is not handled correctly.)

--Cornelius.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: phak004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  SP4 */