[leafnode-list] scripts to keep groups coming (was: (no subject))

Jim Nicholson <jimn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I dare say someone has done this before, but I've written a little
> perl script which reads articles from low-traffic newsgroups to
> prevent leafnode thinking their inactive.
>
> The problem I had was that my ISPs .service.status newsgroup has only
> one or two postings a month normally, so leafnode sees that I don't

I had the same problem.  In my case, I'm the only user on my system,
and I use gnus to read my mail, so my script just looks at the .newsrc
file and touches interesting.groups/<group name> for anything that is
subscribed. It's at http://www.world.std.com/~lconrad/touchnews.sh if
anyone wants it.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx , http://www.world.std.com/~lconrad/ )