Re: [leafnode-list] Bandwidth limiter for fetch downloads?

sss@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>  On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Timothy A. McDaniel wrote:
>
> > << When fetch runs, it connects to my local
> > ISP's news server and completely eats up all the available bandwidth I
> > have on my 56k modem connection. >>
> >
> > 1) Lucky you.  Mine takes maybe 50% of the bandwidth.
> > 2) How can *I* get mine to do that?  I want the phone calls
> >    to be as short as possible.
>
> Thats pretty odd. you must be with a wimpy ISP or you are grabbing from a
> news server across the net' somewhere.

No. That's normal when you fetch news from non-binary newsgroups because
fetch must do quite some work inbetween, like parsing headers etc. At
the moment fetch is still written in a way that it sends a command, waits
for the answer from the server and sends the next command. This makes
it unnecessarily slow. The next major update (not 1.9.3) will hopefully
fix that.

I think that sss@xxxxxxxxxxx fetches a lot of binary groups or groups with
very long message bodies. In this case, fetch will spend most of its time
writing bodies to disk. This is not very CPU-intensive, so the suggestions
made in this thread (like renicing fetch, etc.) won't help.

No, I can't offer anything better.

--Cornelius.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: phak004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  SP4 */