Re: [leafnode-list] anyone know how to do this

Cornelius Krasel wrote:
> Jeff Robinson wrote:
> > It would be nice to be able to auto start a fech session when a user
> > subscribes to a new group
>
> What should this accomplish? The user will not see the new articles
> immediately because it takes some time to fetch them. Furthermore,
> for people with dialup connections this is likely to waste money,
> because a connection would have to be started every time a user
> subscribes to a new group (this is irrelevant for people in the U.S.
> where local calls are free).

Well, I like Jeff's idea. Whenever I subscribe to a new group I
immediately start fetch (I don't live in the US, not yet). If the phone
costs are a problem you don't have to use this feature. For people with
a static connection it would be nice, anyway.
	I wrote a little patch for 1.10b2 to accomplish this. You can add

auto_start_program = /fire/up/my/ISP/connection
auto_start_args = -arguments -passed -to -auto_start_program

to your config and auto_start_program will be started with the options
specified in auto_start_args when you subscribe to a new group.

Regards,
	Jo:rg

--
Fortune Cookie of the day:
A hermit is a deserter from the army of humanity.