Re: [leafnode-list] texpire causes network activity?

On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 12:38:44PM +0200, Cornelius Krasel wrote:
> George Lane wrote:

> > The problem: when texpire runs, it seems to generate network
> > traffic, because it triggers diald, dialing the modem (and
> > waking me up in the process). This seems strange, since I was
> > under the impression that texpire simply deletes expired articles
> > from the server.

> I am under this impression as well. In fact, when I run texpire with
> strace, I cannot see any attempt at a connect() call, except the
> one where logging to the syslogd is started:

It may be caused not by texpire but by something that happens after
texpire has run - for example, if the output from texpire is mailed
instead of /dev/nulled then it is likely that the MTA will be doing
reverse DNS lookups at some point (particularly if it is sendmail).
How exactly is texpire invoked from cron?

--
Mark Brown  mailto:broonie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   (Trying to avoid grumpiness)
            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/