Re: [leafnode-list] Question regarding authentification

In previous mail, Thomas Bader spouted...

> I think, you can use /bin/login to test, if the password and username
> are right. But I don't know, how it works, it just an idea.

	Not in such an application, no.

> IMHO it is really usefull, when there's *one* passwordfile in the
> system, which is used from all services, which run on the machine. You
> really know the problem, when you change the password of one user with
> 'passwd' you must change it with smbpasswd and htpasswd too, which takes
> a lot of time.

	/etc/{passwd,shadow} is for interactive access to the system, not
	for non-login services.  People that use it as such are foolish.

	SMB and httpd and INN/nnrpd have seperate files for a reason;
	security.  These are not system components, no matter how you
	would care to think of them, and as such, they get seperate
	files for authentication purposes.

	From a security standpoint, use /etc/leafnode.pw or similar.

> My other idea is, that you can copy /etc/shadow and give the new file
> the permission 600 news.news, in this case you have two files, one file
> is only readable from root and one file is only readable from news. When
> you run nntpd initial as root, it can copy the /etc/shadow to
> /etc/nntp.shadow ie. and give it the needed permissions. (And you could
> modify '/bin/passwd' that it sends a SIGHUP to nntpd, when a passwort is
> changed.)

	Can you say race condition?  These bits would NEVER get installed on
	any machine under my jurisdictional control.

> BTW: Don't laugh at me, the ideas above are only ideas, I'm not an
> expert.

	Not laughing at you by any means.  Just wanted to point out that
	using a system access control file for a non-system purpose is
	just not right by any means.

						John R. Dennison
						SysAdmin and Security Guy

--
"Whenever two people meet, there are really six people present. There is each
man as he sees himself, each man as the other person sees him, and each man