Re: [leafnode-list] Filtering revisited.

On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 06:00:55PM +0200, Joerg Dietrich wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 06:21:31AM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> > I can imagine that in a lot of other cases sufficient communication
> > between the users is possible to work out some mutually acceptable

> Yes, you can block entire newsgroups with the current leafnode filter.
> No, you don't want to do this. Offering a group, subscribing to it and
> filtering it by downloading all headers and checking the newsgroups:
> line would probably qualify you as idiot of the week (sorry, if anybody
> does so).

I actually did this for a while flame groups which I know nobody will
read - if it's in the crossposts, the article dies.

>          Leafnode currently has no sensible mechanism of blocking
> entire groups (although a comparison in the groupinfo algorithm with a
> blacklist should be relatively easy to implement).

I actually implemented a patch for this and sent it to Cornelius - it
was done the wrong way around (it wraps the calls to add the group,
rather than just shoving it into the group thing).  Also, I've been
doing Fortran and ML rather than C in the past year or two and it shows.
If anyone wants it I can try to dig it out.

I don't actually use the patch since I maintain the Debian package and
like to use the package I actually distribute.

> > The main problem in Leafnode is that it doesn't preload the connection.

> Didn't I just say this? Maybe we have a misunderstanding about what
> asynchronous fetching is.

Probably not, but I didn't really understand why you were worried so I
thought I'd explain it anyway.

--
Mark Brown  mailto:broonie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   (Trying to avoid grumpiness)
            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/