Re: [leafnode-list] File locking

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Cornelius Krasel wrote:

> Lockfiles are used in Leafnode to avoid race conditions with respect
> to the groupinfo file. That is, only one application that modifies
> the groupinfo file can run at a time (i.e. fetch, texpire and applyfilter
> are mutually exclusive).
>
> However, if we want to implement local groups there will be a problem,
> because the nntpd itself will have to modify the groupinfo file. It would
> be quite stupid (IMO) if the nntpd would also use the current locking
> mechanism because this would make it impossible to run fetch (or any
> other program) in the background while reading news. Therefore, it would
> be important to come up with a different solution. I have thought quite
> hard about this, but have not come up with a good idea.
>
> Any of the geeks out there who can help me?

The solution I was thinking about would have the nntpd unchanged, but have
fetch recognize local groups versus external ones. With a command line
option to post to local groups only it would be possible to fun fetch
often to update local groups only. I'll admit I haven't gone very far with
this. Someone did some scripting to do this. Let me check.

http://x24.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=532031154&CONTEXT=939301877.1775435859&hitnum=1

I did some experimenting with rnews and local groups a while ago, but I
started having hardware problems with my server. I think I've got my
hardware working again, and have a new FreeBSD box to run a news spool on.
One of the bexes can become a test spool now.

Greg Weeks
--
http://durendal.tzo.com/greg/