[leafnode-list] increased problems with fetchnews

I have been running leafnode for a while now so I am somewhat familiar
with the way it works. For the last week or so it has been having more
problems. I have used it running as a cron job every hour and recently
it is getting hung for hours. It has fetched thousands of old articles
from groups. I run texpire every night, also via cron. Has anybody run
across this and know of a remedy?I am using a 56k dial-up which is
usually connected.
--