Re: [leafnode-list] 1.9.5 update

Matthias Andree wrote:

> Mark Brown <broonie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 10:21:29PM +0100, Cornelius Krasel wrote:
> > > INSTALL:7: added information about SuSE --prefix=/usr
> >
> > Presumably this applies to any distribution - it's extremely unusual for
> > any packaged program to install in /usr/local, and other than /usr /opt
> > is the only fairly standard thing (and that's not widely used).
>
> True. We should change it to something like:
>
> "Remember that when you are doing in-place updates of a leafnode version
> that had been previously installed by the vendor, you need to add
> --prefix=/usr or --prefix=/opt to the configure invokation, whichever
> you need, depends on your software."

I now wrote:

   If you want to do an in-place update of a leafnode version that has
   been previously installed by your distribution, you need to invoke
   "configure" with the --prefix=/usr or --prefix=/opt setting (dependent
   on the configuration of your distribution).

It might be a good idea to actually let configure look for an old
version of leafnode by itself. There might be several ways to do that,
but the most obvious one would probably be to look into various directories
or evaluate the inetd.conf entry.

BTW, it seems that thanks to the work of Joerg Dietrich Leafnode-1.9.5
will be able to handle capitalized newsgroups names quite correctly :-)

--Cornelius.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: phak004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  SP4 */