Re: [leafnode-list] Leafnode 1.9.6 and TAB in headers

On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 10:32:52PM +0100, Rados?aw Gancarz wrote:
> Leafnode cannot read articles with TAB character after field name in some
> essential headers (ie. "From:", "Date:" etc). These fields are reported
> missing in fetchnews and xoverutil (both uses constructions like
> strncmp(line, "Field: ",7) ).
>
> This patch allow leafnode to work with those articles by converting all
> tabs in headers to spaces (I don't know if server is allowed to do such
> things and I didn't found answer in RFC 977 yet).

RFC 1036 says:
[...]Therefore, the rule is adopted that
all USENET news messages must be formatted as valid Internet mail
messages, according to the Internet standard RFC-822.

We find the following in RFC 822:
3.1.2.  STRUCTURE OF HEADER FIELDS

Once a field has been unfolded, it may be viewed as being com-
posed of a field-name followed by a colon (":"), followed by a
field-body, and  terminated  by  a carriage-return/line-feed.
The  field-name must be composed of printable ASCII characters
(i.e., characters that  have  values  between  33.  and 126.
decimal, except colon).

TAB has ASCII code 11 and is not allowed in header fields. Therefore,
leafnode's behavior is correct, although the error message is
misleading.

--
Fortune cookie of the day:
Would you care to drift aimlessly in my direction?