Re: [leafnode-list] Leafnode 1.9.6 and TAB in headers

On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 08:58:32PM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
> > Joerg Dietrich (joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxx) schrieb:
> > > TAB has ASCII code 11 and is not allowed in header fields. Therefore,
> > > leafnode's behavior is correct,
>
> Jörg, TAB is HTAB and has ASCII code 9 (011), what you are describing
> the VTAB (013) which is not allowed anywhere in formatted field contents
> unless explicitly specified so.

Errm, yes. I looked in the octal column...

> > Please note that the text you quoted only covers the field-*name*,
> > eg. the part *before* the ':'. rfc822 continues:
> >
> >   The field-body may be composed of any ASCII characters, except CR or LF.

Ok, ok, any brown paper bags lying around? Should learn to read before
mailing.

> Regardless. Check RFC 1036, pp. 2ff.:
>
> "   A standard USENET message consists of several header lines, followed
>     by a blank line, followed by the body of the message.  Each header
>     line consist of a keyword, a colon, a blank, and some additional
>     information.  This is a subset of the Internet standard, simplified
>     to allow simpler software to handle it.  The "From" line may[...]"
>
> Yet, it's a matter of tolerance. Leafnode does not use a proper language
> and chokes on HTAB, OTOH, the implementors of software that posts
> messages with HTAB after the colon are not operating carefully either.

It's certainly ok to accepted broken header lines (in the RFC 1036
defined broken) from the upstream. But if a user posts an article to
leafnode with broken headers, leafnode should refuse this article with a
meaningful error message, so that the users knows there's something
wrong. Otherwise the article may get lost in failed.postings when the
upstream refuses to accept it.
	Any big blunders in this observation?

Regards,
	Jo:rg

--
Fortune cookie of the day:
I don't know WHY I said that ... I think it came from the FILLINGS in