Re: [leafnode-list] groups always listed as new

On Sun, 2 Jan 2000, Cornelius Krasel wrote:
> Nick Drage <nick-drage@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > I think that I was worried about fetchnews behaviour in 1.9.7, anyway I've
> > upgraded now and the problem is still the same, all groups are reported as
> > new, though also as before if I "telnet localhost 119" and "newgroups" I
> > don't get any back.
>
> There are two possibilities:
>
> a) The clock in your computer is going wrong (no kidding).

Ah.  I've checked this, my BIOS thinks it's 1994 on boot up, but I always
change the clock to the current time and date straight after I first log
in ( used to have to do this anyway last millennium, dead battery ).

> b) 1.9.4 entered strange dates in your groupinfo file.
>
> Personally, since you say that a manual "newgroups" works fine, I tend
> to favour possibility a).

Hmm, time to see if I can find a BIOS update presumably.  Must admit I was
kinda hoping my manual modification of the time would be sufficient.

> If you want to verify b), have a look at the
> fourth field in each line in /var/spool/news/leaf.node/groupinfo. It
> contains the date when your newsserver received a new group in seconds
> since Jan 1st, 1970 (the universally accepted Unix way of storing
> timestamps) or 0 if the newsgroup was already present when you downloaded
> the whole groupinfo file.

hostname:/var/spool/news/leaf.node# head groupinfo
3dfx.d3d.drivers 0 1 0 -x-
3dfx.events 0 1 0 -x-
3dfx.game.titles 0 1 0 -x-
3dfx.games.discussion 0 1 0 -x-
3dfx.games.glquake 0 1 0 -x-
3dfx.glide 0 1 0 -x-
3dfx.oem.products.canopus 0 1 0 -x-
3dfx.oem.products.canopus.pure3d 0 1 0 -x-
3dfx.oem.products.diamond.monster3d 0 1 0 -x-
3dfx.oem.products.hercules.stingray128-3d 0 1 0 -x-

So this is OK?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.  Hopefully I can get some more use
out of this old hardware yet :)

--
Nick Drage, helping fill up the internet since 1993.

A few fries short of a Happy Meal.