Re: [leafnode-list] groups always listed as new

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Cornelius Krasel wrote:
> > > It may also be interesting to get a debuglog of a newsreader invocation;
> > > maybe your newsreader is not working properly. (The debuglog will show
> > > how the newsreader invokes the "NEWGROUPS" command.)
<< snip irrelevant log entries >>
> > Jan  2 23:54:33 delete leafnode[174]: <NEWGROUPS 1000102 184044
>
> This is bad format, since the date in NEWGROUPS should be either 6 or 8
> digits but not seven. Apparently Leafnode has a problem with this instead
> of just refusing it. Therefore, while the cause of the problem is your
> newsreader, leafnode does not deal properly with the badly formatted
> query. I'll try to think of a patch soon.

Ok, anything I can do to help please feel free to ask.  In the meantime
I'll look at this from the tin side.  Well, I say "I'll look", that really
means I'll just start querying someone else ( "tin-bugs@xxxxxxx" seems to
be a good place to start ). If it's any use I'm using:

hostname:~/.tin# tin -V
tin pre-1.4 release 980226 [UNIX] (c) Copyright 1991-98 Iain Lea.
Reading global config file...
Reading config file...
Version: pre-1.4 release 980226  Mar  4 1998 20:16:49

and the end of the config file states:

# host & time info used for detecting new groups (don't touch)
newnews=localhost 946862787

> Thanks for your help,

No, thank you.  Once my ISPs news server is back up I'll resub to
news.software.readers and post up this problem.

( BTW, the signature was randomly chosen, but it made me smile )

--
Nick Drage, helping fill up the internet since 1993.

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.