[leafnode-list] [ANNOUNCE] leafnode-1.9.8

After the Y2K, I am happy to announce another bugfix release of leafnode,
namely leafnode-1.9.8. This is a version which you only need if 1.9.7
gives you problems, such as all newsgroups shown as new (because of
your antique newsreader :-), non-matching wildcards that should match
or crashes during a fetchnews run. If your 1.9.7 runs fine, you don't
need 1.9.8.

To be more precise, 1.9.8 contains the following changes:

fetchnews.c:
- getgroup(): there was still a realloc() too many left which led to
  occasional crashes. Fixed.
- getgroup(): if realloc( x, 0 ) is called twice, the program will crash.
  Fixed.
- getgroup(): if there are no articles to get, we don't go through the
  "XHDR Date" stuff (which seems to be very slow with DNews anyway).
- getgroup(): if a group is unsubscribed, "first" and "last" are set to 1
- fixed a bug in getgroup() which might have lead to premature expiring
  of groups

miscutil.c:
- fixed a bug in ngmatch() (#ifdef was for HAVE_FNMATCH_H instead of
  HAVE_FNMATCH) discovered by Daniel Barron <daniel@xxxxxxxxx>.
- applied a patch by Bruno Rohee <rohee@xxxxxxxxxxx> replacing setreuid()
  and setregid() with setuid() and setgid() when possible

nntpd.c:
- donewgroups(): changed code to make it more clear
- donewgroups(): some newsreaders exhibited a Y2K problem and sent 7-digit
  dates. Leafnode can now parse these dates as well.
- markinterest() changed both mtime and atime if file was already
  present. Fixed. (A problem with the expiry mechanism had been reported
  by several people but it was quite difficult to track it down.)

texpire.c:
- article numbers are not reset when a group is empty because this
  results in new articles not being displayed in low-traffic groups.

xoverutil.c:
- applied a patch by Bruno Rohee <rohee@xxxxxxxxxxx> replacing mktemp()
  with mkstemp() if possible
- removed the error message that occurred if a directory contained
  newsgroups starting with a digit

Miscellaneous:
- /var/spool/news/failed.postings was not installed during "make install"
- added "fetchnews -n" to the troubleshooting section of the README.
- small bug in Makefile.in corrected (-lpcre was linked twice with
  applyfilter)
- small bug in makerpm.sh fixed (version number was hard-coded).

The new version will be available from the usual places as soon as they
have mirrored it. Please continue to report any bugs that you find.
Together we can make leafnode even better :-)

--Cornelius.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: phak004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  SP4 */