Re: [leafnode-list] delaybody configurability

On Sun, Jan 16, 2000 at 12:48:42PM -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> Mark Brown said:
> > It strikes me that this would be better solved in whatever is running
> > fetchnews.  A system like that used by Anacron (perhaps anacron itself)
> > seems ideal.

> Running fetchnews (or anything else that tries to contact the outside world)
> is "unreliable" not in the sense that "cron may not be running to execute it"
> (the situation that anacron is designed to deal with) but rather "unreliable"
> as in "there's about an 80% chance that diald/pppd will fail to register a
> default route, resulting in a complete inability for the program to contact
> whatever server(s) are needed for it to do its job".

I wasn't clear enough: what I was suggesting was setting up something
that would run in ip-up and fire off jobs if they hadn't been run in the
past however long.  This is exactly what anacron does - the only problem
would be pointing it at a different configuration if it was also in use
for regular cron.

--
Mark Brown  mailto:broonie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   (Trying to avoid grumpiness)
            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/