Re: [leafnode-list] delaybody configurability

Dave Sherohman <esper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I just recently started using leafnode and I see that the TODO mentions
> possibly adding the feature to make delaybody available for specific groups
> instead of being a purely global setting.  This is a feature that I want to
> see (and had actually assumed was already there), plus additional
> configurability for delaybody.  Specifically, allow bodies to be delayed based
> on message size, number of lines, etc. - basically, anything that can be used
> as a flag to discard a message should, IMO, be usable to delay the body
> also.

I am not working on this :-)

> A second feature that I'd like to see added is more frequent updates to the
> groupinfo file, so that as soon as a group is done being read, the new
> messages in that group become available to clients instead of new messages in
> all groups becoming available at once after fetchnews finishes.  This ties
> into at least one of the items in TODO, but has additional benefits that are
> not mentioned there.

As I see, this is only possible by one of the following approaches:

1) Converting groupinfo into a database to allow record-based locking
   instead of locking the whole file. I am somewhat reluctant to do
   this, because one of the things in leafnode that I like is that the
   storage format is extremely simple. I would like to keep it that way.

2) Implementing a daemon which is the only program allowed to read out
   and write the groupinfo file. Any other programs requesting information
   or changing entries into that file would have to talk to that daemon.
   This is the approach which I currently favour.

> Finally, I'd like to see an option to control the maximum frequency with
> which fetchnews will retrieve articles.  I'm on a flaky PPP link with diald,
> so running fetchnews from cron is unreliable, but if I put it into my ip-up,
> it runs every time I connect to the net; I'd like to be able to put it in
> ip-up, but configure it to only read new articles once a day.

What about a small script wrapper around it or using anacron? I don't
think this functionality should be built into fetchnews itself.

> Is anyone currently working on any of these features?  If not, I'm prepared
> to tackle them myself, but I don't want to be duplicating someone else's
> efforts.

If you are interested in hacking code, I can email you the latest 2.0a10.

> (For that matter, is there a separate leafnode-dev list that would
> be a more appropriate place to discuss this?)

No. Should we create one? (Actually, I like it the way it is, but others
might complain.)

--Cornelius.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: phak004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  SP4 */