Re: [leafnode-list] delaybody configurability

Cornelius Krasel said:
> As I see, this is only possible by one of the following approaches:
>
> 1) Converting groupinfo into a database to allow record-based locking
>    instead of locking the whole file. I am somewhat reluctant to do
>    this, because one of the things in leafnode that I like is that the
>    storage format is extremely simple. I would like to keep it that way.
>
> 2) Implementing a daemon which is the only program allowed to read out
>    and write the groupinfo file. Any other programs requesting information
>    or changing entries into that file would have to talk to that daemon.
>    This is the approach which I currently favour.

What about just having fetchnews open groupinfo, read a group, update
groupinfo, fflush the file handle, read the next group, etc.?  Unless I'm
mistaken, fetchnews should be the only process that's making any changes to
groupinfo anyhow and *nix generally tends to be pretty friendly about letting
one process read a file while another process is writing to it.

> If you are interested in hacking code, I can email you the latest 2.0a10.

Please do.

> No. Should we create one? (Actually, I like it the way it is, but others
> might complain.)

If it's not already there, no.  I was just checking to see if I was asking in
the wrong place.

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+