Re: [leafnode-list] running leafnode and fetchnews

On 04-Feb-00 Nick Drage opined:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2000 holtzm@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> > When you install these things from an rpm, they will usually be either
>> > installed in /usr/sbin or /usr/local/sbin. You have to check whether
>> > these directories are in your PATH variable (which you can see by
>> > typing "echo $PATH").
>> >
>> Both of these are in the path. Any Other possibilities?
>
> Bit of a silly suggestion, but just to cover the obvious stuff, I've
> found
> that when I install software into directories that are in my $PATH I have
> to logout and log back in on a particular console before it'll recognise
> the new programs within the $PATH.
>
> Not quite sure why this is, maybe someone can enlighten me?

When I install with RPM and the author moves the locations of the binaries,
this happens. Also, if I did a previous install from a tarball, then later
delete the old binary and install an RPM whihc puts the binary in a
different place, it happens. Finally, if I have an RPM installed, uninstall
it, then install from a tarball, it almost always happens.

--
The dark ages were caused by the Y1K problem.