Re: [leafnode-list] Skript starting Fetchnews once per Day

Mark Brown said:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 08:59:44PM +0100, Frank Wagner wrote:
> > Thanks first, but I want to start fetchnews only if there is a
> > connection to
> > the internet anyhow. So I'm looking for a solution to start a skript
> > while
> > processing ip-up that starts fetchnews conditionally if it didn't fetch
> > in the past 24 hours.
>
> Anacron isn't actually a cron replacement - it's a program which when
> run checks to see if something's been done in the last <time period> and
> if not does it.  It's just that the main use is ensuring that cron jobs
> get run even on machines that aren't always on.

Anacron functions outside of ip-up's domain.  Using anacron by itself will
always attempt to run fetchnews as soon as it notices that it hasn't been
run in the last day, regardless of whether PPP is up or not.

Anacron can be made to work by creating a temp file when fetchnews is run,
having ip-up check for the presence of that file, and having anacron
remove that file every day, but having anacron run fetchnews itself doesn't
fit Frank's criteria.

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+