Re: [leafnode-list] leafnode-2.0

Hmm, mailing list gating in<>out of leafnode could be very useful for a
couple applications I have in mind (automatic archival of FAQ's, for instance).

Is anyone else working on anything along these lines?

							John

In previous mail, Greg Weeks spouted...

> > >rnews is a program which sorts articles into the spool. It is absolutely
> > >necessary for use with UUCP because you retrieve the articles not via
> > >fetchnews, but in so-called "batches" which are concatenated articles
> > >with some special headers inbetween. However, rnews can in principle
> > >also be used to sort articles into the spool which have been retrieved
> > >with suck, newsx or any other client.
> >
> > Perhaps this would make local groups possible?
> >
> > You could configure leafnode so that any messages posted to a
> > newsgroup marked as local wouldn't go into out.going, but would be
> > passed immediately to rnews and sorted into the spool. This should
> > work, shouldn't it?
>
> I experimented with this a few months ago. I actually ran a filter on
> out.going that pulled out the local stuff. There are a couple of other
> areas that needed work to do local spools. The fetching of groups needs to
> be changed to sort the local groups into groupinfo and fetchnews needs to
> be able to NOT try to fetch for local groups. I don't remember what else I
> bumped into, but I didn't have any time to write code anyway. I was
> wanting to do a mailing list gateway at the time. I no longer have the
> incentive now.
>
> Greg Weeks
> --
> http://durendal.tzo.com/greg/
>

> --

"Whenever two people meet, there are really six people present. There is each
man as he sees himself, each man as the other person sees him, and each man
as he really is."  -  William James
  Pinnacle Internet: hosting/dial/dsl/dedicated/consulting - www.pinnatel.net