Re: [leafnode-list] leafnode-2.0

Michael Faurot wrote:
> Cornelius Krasel <krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> : I don't know how UUCP batches are usually created. As far as I know,
> : you only stick the articles together with suitable headers, e.g.
> :
> : #! rnews length_in_bytes
> : first article
> : #! rnews length_in_bytes
> : second article
>
> From looking over my INN installation it seems to do it a bit
> differently.
>
> #! cunbatch
> <Many articles together all compressed>
>
> Where <Many articles together all compressed> is a bunch of articles
> concatenated together and then run through compress.

I thought something with cunbatch at the beginning was just a
compressed rnews batch. Assuming that the script which I posted
previously generates an uncompressed rnews batch, this could be
compressed with

echo '#! cunbatch'
compress -c uncompressed_rnews_batch

or, if you want to have even more compression and your partner can
handle it,

echo '#! zunbatch'
gzip -c uncompressed_rnews_batch

> So why not implement a complete solution if it's easy?

I think leafnode should provide an adequate shell script to generate
rnews batches, but I don't think it is worth the effort to implement
this in C. To fully implement this, I would need help from some people
who have UUCP running and are willing to test software.

--Cornelius.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: phak004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  SP4 */