Re: [leafnode-list] Files for newsgroups

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Cornelius Krasel wrote:
> Phil Hunt wrote:
> > I am considering writing a GUI utility which allows users to
> > manually adjust which newsgroups leafnode downloads from. I
> > have some questions:
> >
> > Does leafnode keep a list of all available newsgroups anywhere?
>
> /var/spool/news/leaf.node/groupinfo

Well blow me, so it is! All 34,000 groups. I could have sworn it wasn't
there before.

> > I know the newsgroups-to-download are stored in
> > /var/spool/news/interesting.groups
> > Is this going to stay the same in Leafnode 2.0?
>
> Yes.
>
> To avoid duplication of work, I recommend that you should have a look
> at keafnode, a GUI configuration utility for leafnode written by
> Guenter Schwann. It is available from
> 	http://www.sbox.tu-graz.ac.at/home/v/vogel/lin-apps/keafnode
> (I have not used it, but it might be a useful template for you.)

I've looked at it, & I'm in two minds as to what to do. Originally
I planned a GUI-based tool (one of Tk/GTK/KDE or perhaps all three:-))
but now I am more thinking of a web-based solution.

I'm assuming that leafnode is being used by two main groups of people:

1. people with a single machine that the connect to the net with
a modem/xDSL etc, and use leafnode because it makes an online newsreader
into an offline newsreader

2. small networks of c. 10 machines, that use leafnode because it's
less hassle than INN.

People doing (1) would be equally happy with either solution (assuming
they have a local web server set up; I would guess that most of these
users are using Linux and most distros come with Apache working out
of the box).

People doing (2) will probably prefer a web solution -- particularly
if the client machines run Windows or MacOS.

--
***** Phil Hunt ***** send email to phil@xxxxxxxxxx *****
Moore's Law: hardware speed doubles every 18 months