Re: [leafnode-list] New FAQ item (add to top, please)

krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Cornelius Krasel) writes:

> > Cornelius, you might also consider explicitly checking for linux kernel
> > includes from configure.in.
>
> While this will be a bit difficult, it is certainly something that should
> be tested. I wonder if one could just test whether something that requires
> kernel parameters can be compiled. For example, the following program
> should not compile on a machine with 2.2.x and glibc2.1:

How about this approach:

test "x`uname -s`" = "xLinux" && \
        test -f /usr/include/linux/version.h || \
                echo "You need to install the Linux sources or the Linux"
                echo "kernel include files into /usr/src/linux"

It's untested, but /usr/include/linux/version.h is likely to be missing,
and I expect people with BSD (at least Net/OpenBSD) and other systems
(Solaris) to be capable of properly installing their systems rather than
Linux users who seem to use the first distribution they can get hold of,
no matter what it is and how old it is.

Hi! I'm the infamous .signature virus!
Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!