Re: [leafnode-list] Bug in leafnode-1.9.10?

Phil Hunt wrote:

> Leafnode has just decided to subscribe me to the following
> groups:
>
> comp.protocols.dns.bind
> comp.publish.cdrom.hardware
> comp.periphs.scsi
>
> (i.e. it has created those files in
> /var/spool/news/interesting.groups, & is now trying to
> download news articles for them).
>
> I don't think it should be doing this. I am the only person
> using my computer (AFAIK), and *I* certainly didn't tell leafnode
> to subscribe to them -- in fact I wasn't aware they existed.
>
> (Looking on the bright side, at least it hasn't subscribed
> me to a load of microsoft groups, like it did last time this
> happened :-)).
>
> Is this a known bug? Or am I having security problems?

I would guess the latter. Last time this happened to me was when I
had forgotten to close my NNTP port properly. It is regularly scanned
for access (currently about once a day).

--Cornelius.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: phak004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  SP4 */