Re: [leafnode-list] Files for newsgroups

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, David Marsh wrote:
> On 12-Feb-00 phil hunt wrote:
> >
> > People doing (1) would be equally happy with either solution (assuming
> > they have a local web server set up; I would guess that most of these
> > users are using Linux and most distros come with Apache working out
>                   ^^^^^
> > of the box).
>

> Whenever I see phrases like that, the alarm bells in my head marked
> 'embrace and extend' start ringing..  :-(
>
> Please remember, Linux is just a subset of the whole Unix world

I look at it the other way round: other Unices are just a subset of linux.

25% or all servers installed last year run Linux -- more than all other
Unices put together.

> (OK, this
> isn't *pedantically* correct), and leafnode does run on a fair number
> of Unixen..
>
> For example, I'm running it under FreeBSD..
>
> Let's not start doing anything that reduces the portability of code
> unnecessarily..

I agree.

I'm using Apache and PHP, which should run on all Unices.

--
***** Phil Hunt ***** send email to phil@xxxxxxxxxx *****
Moore's Law: hardware speed doubles every 18 months