[leafnode-list] Server vs. Supplemental

I recently downloaded and compiled leafnode and keafnode. At first I
manually edit the config file, later on I started keafnode. The file
that kefnode made contained  lines with supplemental= instead of
additional server names.

Now I have one question: What's the difference between using server=
and supplemental= ??? I've searched the mailing list, read the FAQ,
README and man pages, but found no answer.

BTW, can I run multiple instances of fetchnews, because high latencies
slow down the fetching of news, I was thinking that having, say, 4
connections to the upstream newserver would speed things up..