Re: [leafnode-list] fetchnews: stale lockfile, articles not updated, servers skipped

On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 03:55:16PM -0800, kmself@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I've been having trouble getting fetchnews to update news groups lists
> from three servers I use, to update articles from these groups, and
> there appears to be a problem in running fetchnews which leaves a
> lockfile behind though the process itself has terminated.

This usually indicates the occurence of a segfault during a
fetchnews run.

> A typical session might look like:
>
>     [root@navel:/root]$ fetchnews -vvv 2>&1 | tee fetchnews.log

If I'm not mistaken I also saw your post in news.software.nntp.
There you additionally called fetchnews with -f. Please apply the
patches I posted in <coak98.7g7.ln@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> and
<s3uga8.ra.ln@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>. To do so safely.

>     ## This is the NNTP server leafnode fetches its news from.
>     ## You need read and post access to it. Mandatory.
>     server = nntp.ix.netcom.com
>     server = forum.linuxworld.com
>     server = news.vmware.com
>
> /var/spool/news/leaf.node/nnpt.ix.netcom.com is a zero-byte file.

This is the cause, I suppose. Looks like findinlist() doesn't
check for NULL pointers. Remove the file and try again. You may
loose some articles, but it should run fine afterwards. If not,
check back here.

Regards,
	Jo:rg

--
Fortune cookie of the day:
There is no sincerer love than the love of food.