Re: [leafnode-list] 1.9.11: article numbers (for some groups) have been

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Cornelius Krasel wrote:

>Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> tin presumably records in its .newsrc that all articles below a certain
>> number have already been read, and it doesn't check for new articles
>> below that limit when it connects to a news server. Or something like
>> that.

>Exactly.

>> Can I fix my problem simply by manually editing the high water mark of
>> the affected newsgroups in the file leaf.node/groupinfo?

>Yes.

>> If I want to "correct" the article numbers, I know I have to do these
>> three things for each affected article:
>> (i) change the article file name from, say, "43" to "15375";

>Correct.

>> (ii) Change "43" in the article's Xref: header to "15375";

>Not absolutely necessary except if you need any features implemented by
>this header (e.g. automatic "marked as read")

>> (iii) Change the article number in the pertinent .overview file.

>Just delete the .overview file. It will be rebuilt when it is required.

>HTH,
>--Cornelius.

Cornelius, Jörg,

Many thanks for the advice and suggestions. I decided that I would, after
all, do a complete repair on my spool.

After a hacking run lasting till about 3 a.m. last night and most of
today, I have now cleaned everything up. In the process I learnt a _lot_
about Unix file systems, in particular how hard links interact with cp,
mv and ln.  Such information doesn't seem to be available on Linux's
online help :-(.

Would it be appropriate/helpful for me to post my repair script onto this
mailing list, or upload it somewhere? It is fully commented and just over
6k long.

--
Alan Mackenzie (München)
acm@xxxxxx