Re: [leafnode-list] Article limit for each group

On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 01:37:28AM -0400, Joerg Dietrich wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2000 at 10:48:21PM +0200, gianluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > The basic idea is to fix a global article limit (as now) and leave to
> > the user to possibility to add a different limit for each group he likes.
> >
> > maxfetch = 100
> > it.comp.os.dibattiti = 200
> > comp.os.linux.development.apps = 300
> > ..
>
> Oops. \sum_{groups} maxfetch(groups) > maxfetch

I know. (if I understand what you write...)

> > - it can be interesting for someone else.
>
> I think an overall per group limit would be better. The idea
> behind maxfetch, as I understand it, is to avoid being flooded.
> Flooding usually occurs within one group. Setting different upper
> limits per groups increases the chance of unwanted loss of
> articles.

I agree. But my starting point is that I lose some articles of some
groups if I set a low limit, but I get too many article in the other
groups if I set an high limit. So I propose this solution.
I know this problem, but for me is more important read all the messages
of a set of groups that being flooded in other.

> > - it is possible without writing code with leafnode ver. 1.9.9
>
> I'm not sure I understand this question. If you decide to code
> something like this, you probably want to get the latest 2.0alpha
> from Cornelius.

The question is: there is a way to set different article limit for
some groups without add code to fetchnews ?

bye

Gianluca

--
Home Page                	Contro i brevetti sw     Boicotta Microsoft
www.infinito.it/utenti/chewbe   no-patents.prosa.it/     www.boycott-ms.org/

"If we have to file a thousand lawsuits a day, we'll do it.
It's less expensive than losing CONTROL of YOUR creative works."
---Jack Valenti, President and CEO, Motion Picture Association of America