Re: [leafnode-list] Problem posting to multiple upstream servers

On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 08:59:00PM +0200, Cornelius Krasel wrote:

> Usually, the posting should get posted anyway *and* appear in failed.postings.

Sorry - I should have said that already happens.

> posting from out.going to failed.postings (but not remove it from
> out.going; therefore it will try to post it on subsequent servers as
> well). Articles are only unlinked from out.going after all servers have

Yes, it does.

> Personally, I don't think that this is something to bother much about.

The user is extremely worked up about it.

> In fact, I run a daily cron job which does nothing except moving
> everything from failed.postings to out.going again. When the next
> fetchnews instance runs, it will recognize that articles are available
> upstream already and silently remove these from out.going (provided
> that STAT works on your upstream server as described in the RFC).

That would solve this problem, certainly, although it would create
problems for people posting to poorly-connected servers that don't push
articles out.  Then again, such systems must be vanishingly rare.

I think I'll add such a cron job to the Debian package.

--
Mark Brown  mailto:broonie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   (Trying to avoid grumpiness)
            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/