Re: [leafnode-list] Problem posting to multiple upstream servers

On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 11:30:43PM +0200, Cornelius Krasel wrote:
> OTOH, news is not a very reliable medium. For example, locally I had

It's not. We have mail for that (which also isn't reliable, but
anyway...).

> the problem for several months that messages into any alt.* group
> would just not be propagated further (i.e. they were appearing on the
> university's news server but would not travel). I complained several
> times, but it took a considerable while before the news made it out
> again. I have never been told what the problem was. This incident was

The actual problem is, that as usenet is as fast growing as the
rest the rest of the net, newsservers don't get the attention
they would need to be properly maintained. This is getting more
and more common and is IMHO a serious threat to usenet.
Film @ 11.

> In any case, Leafnode should probably be made aware of moderated
> newsgroups and treat them specially. But that is something that has
> yet to be implemented.

Have a look at my lastet patch for 2.0a14. The function ismod()
can also be used for non-local groups.

> > This is not only annoying for the moderator but might leade to dupes
> > in the newsgroup if the moderator doesn't notice this and rewrites
> > the message id as it done in cola for example.
>
> In my opinion, a message id should NEVER be rewritten. If somebody does,
> (s)he has to bear the consequences.

I totally agree. But it seems to be a common practice for
moderated groups. Robustness principle.

Regards,
	Jo:rg

--
Fortune cookie of the day:
"Who cares if it doesn't do anything?  It was made with our new