Re: [leafnode-list] Leafnode without upstream

On 27-Jun-2000 Bastian Engelmann wrote:
> We successfully installed leafnode in the hope to get the possibility to
> allow our users to access internally a newsgroup for gossip. Just
> without exchanging news with the "outside". Now after a few hours of
> trying we got the impression that it is not possible to use leafnode
> this way.
>
> Is there any way to get leafnode run in the way we want or if not, which
> program can handle this requirement?

I assume you're looking at leafnode because configuring and deploying INN is
overkill for your requirements. Understandably.

With my truthful good citizen hat on, I suggest you should look at sn
(ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/news/transport/). It does not offer a
'virtual' newsfeed with auto-subscribe and unsubscribe as Leafnode and Noffle
do, but it would cope better with a large number of concurrent users than
Noffle. Since you don't intend to offer an external feed, the lack of
auto-subscribe isn't an issue here.

Alternatively, you might want to take a look at Noffle
(http://sourceforge.net/project/?group_id=1044). It is similiar to Leafnode, but
does in 1.0pre6 have local group support (Obligatory Vested Interest Disclaimer:
I added the local group support, so I'm biased).

RPMs are available from http://www.bear-cave.org.uk/linux/noffle[0]. The RPMs
are for RedHat, and one of the dependencies (textutils) isn't quite right for
SuSE, but 'rpm -i --nodeps' should have it installed and running.

Noffle may not be suitable if you have lots of[1] users accessing news at
once, as it currently has a global lock controlling access to the news base
(which is in a couple of GDBM files rather than the conventional layout). I'm
working on a fix now, but I'm pretty sure it won't be in 1.0.

[0] There appears to be a problem with my web forwarding right now -
http://www.bear-cave.org.uk works, but subpages don't. Try
http://www.bear-cave.fsnet.co.uk/linux/noffle for now, but I don't promise it
will still work in the future.

[1] I'm not sure how big 'lots of' is. I'd guess >3-5 accessing news
concurrently, but that's only a wild guess.

--
Jim Hague - jim.hague@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Work), jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Play)
Never trust a computer you can't lift.