Re: [leafnode-list] (i) Connection timeout (ii) Can't access new

Hi, everybody!

On Sun, 7 May 2000, Joerg Dietrich wrote:

>On Sat, May 06, 2000 at 05:40:00PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> I am currently using leafnode-1.9.12 with tin-1.4.0.

>> (i)
>> The connection between tin and leafnode has started timing out if I don't
>> access leafnode within 5 (??) minutes, and this is getting irritating. Is
>> this timeout being done at the leafnode end? If so, can I configure
>> leafnode _not_ to timeout?

>>From nntpd.c:
>/*
> * call getaline with 15 min timeout (not configurable)
> */
>static char * mgetaline( FILE *f ) {

>So the answer is no. Unless you modify the source.

A quick "#define mgetaline(A) getaline (A)", enclosed within a #ifdef
structure did the job!

My leafnode setup is for a single user (me!) on the same computer, so
there doesn't seem to be any advantage to outweigh the hassle.

Thanks, Jörg!

On Sun, 7 May 2000, Jeff Grossman wrote:

>On Sat, 6 May 2000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

>> I am currently using leafnode-1.9.12 with tin-1.4.0.

>> When new groups arrive from the upstream server (during fetchnews), or
>> when I try to reactivate a dormant group (which I haven't used since I
>> had leafnode-1.9.3), I don't get the placeholder message (for a new
>> group) or the existing threads (for an old group) when I attempt to
>> access them from tin.

>This is from the release notes for tin 1.4.1

>     BUG. fixed the newgroup during session hack which didn't work
>          with leafnode

What is about the tin developers that they insist on using impenetrable
shorthand instead of clearly describing things?

>So, I would say you should at least upgrade to 1.4.1.  They just released
>version 1.4.3 last week.  You can either download it from ftp.tin.org or
>from my website at ftp://ftp.stikman.com

>Hope that helps.

Yes, it did! I've upgraded to 1.4.3, and the problem has gone, gone,
gone,.... :-).  Many thanks!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
acm@xxxxxx