Re: [leafnode-list] newby fetchnews problem

On Sat, 13 May 2000, Cornelius Krasel wrote:

> Ross Slade wrote:
>
> > Here's the debug log file,
>
> Unfortunately you didn't run a debug log file during a run of fetchnews,

<sigh> It was the first and only bit of output I've seen, I assumed (bad
move!) it was by fetchnews.

Unfortunately there is NOTHING from fetchnews when I run it, no log, nothing
on screen.

Perhaps if I reinstall it and keep the output from the compiling etc?

> but that's what we need to troubleshoot your problem ...

I understand, but I can't think of anything else I can post. A previous
message showed the permissions, I'll attach the /etc/leafnode/config file,
though it's basically default with only the essentials changed.

> (BTW, the logfile shows a lot of garbage produced by the newsreader.
> What newsreader software are you using?)

Tin.  Works fine (though very slowly) connecting to the remote server
directly.

-Ross

 <http://www.fl.net.au/~rosco>                      [ICQ No. 9391313]
               [change borg to org to reply by email]

In love, she who gives her portrait promises the original.
		-- Bruton

## This is the NNTP server leafnode fetches its news from.
## You need read and post access to it. Mandatory.
server = news.hunter.apana.org.au
debugmode = 1

## Unread discussion threads will be deleted after this many days if
## you don't define special expire times. Mandatory.
expire = 20

##
## All the following parameters are optional
##

## I have free access to my news server. If you don't have, comment out
## the following two lines and change them accordingly.
# username = gulbrandsen
# password = secret

## Standard news servers run on port 119. If your newsserver doesn't, comment
## out the following line and change it accordingly.
# port = 8000

## This is another news server which stores some groups that are not
## available on the first one. You can define username, password and port
## for each server separately.
# server = sex.and.warez.com
# username = xenu
# password = secret

## This is a news server which does not understand the
## "LIST NEWSGROUP news.group" command. For this reason, we don't try to
## download newsgroups descriptions when getting new newsgroups. This is
## achieved by putting "nodesc = 1" somewhere behind the server
## line.
# server = broken.upstream.server
# nodesc = 1

## Here we have another news server which has a very slow connection. For
## that reason, we wait a full minute before we give up trying to connect.
## The default is 10 seconds.
# server = really.slow.snail
# timeout = 60

## Non-standard expire times (glob(7) wildcard constructs possible)
# groupexpire comp.os.linux.* = 5 # groups too big to hold articles 20 days
# groupexpire any.local.newsgroup = 100 # very interesting, hold articles longer

## Never fetch more than this many articles from one group in one run.
## Be careful with this; setting it much below 1000 is probably a bad
## idea.
# maxfetch = 2000

## Fetch only a few articles when we subscribe a new newsgroup. The
## default is to fetch all articles.
initialfetch = 1000

## If you want to use leafnode like an offline newsreader (e.g. Forte
## Agent) you can download headers and bodies separately if you set
## delaybody to 1. In this case, fetch will only download the headers
## and only when you select an article, it will download the body.
## This can save a huge amount of bandwith if only few articles are really
## read from groups with lots of postings.
## This feature works not very well with Netscape, though (which is not
## a fault of Leafnode).
# delaybody = 0

## To avoid spam, you can select the maximum number of crosspostings
## that are allowed in incoming postings. Setting this below 5 is
## probably a bad idea. The default is unlimited crossposting.
# maxcrosspost = 5

## If you suffer from repeatedly receiving old postings (this happens
## sometimes when an upstream server goes into hiccup mode) you can
## refuse to receive them with the parameter "maxage" which tells the
## maximum allowed age of an article in days. The default maxage is 10
## days.
# maxage = 10

## maxlines will make fetch reject postings that are longer than a certain
## amount of lines.
# maxlines = 100

## minlines will make fetch reject postings that are shorter than a certain
## amount of lines.
# minlines = 2

## maxbytes will make fetch reject postings that are larger
# maxbytes = 50000

## timeout_short determines how many days fetch gets a newsgroup which
## has been accidentally opened. The default is two days.
# timeout_short = 1

## timeout_long determines how many days fetch will wait before not getting
## an unread newsgroup any more. The default is seven days.
# timeout_long = 6

## timeout_active determines how many days fetch will wait before re-reading
## the whole active file. The default is 90 days.
# timeout_active = 365

## If you want to have your newsreader score/kill on Xref: lines, you might
## want to uncomment this.
# create_all_links = 1

## If you want to filter out certain regular expressions in the header,
## create a "filterfile" (how this is done is explained in the README)
## and set
# filterfile = /path/to/your/filterfile

## If your newsreader does not supply a Message-ID for your postings
## Leafnode will supply one, using the hostname of the machine it is
## running on.  If this hostname is not suitable, this parameter can be
## used to override it.  Do not use a fantasy name, it may interfere with
## the propagation of your messages.  Most modern newsreaders do provide
## a Message-ID.
# hostname = host.domain.country