Re: [leafnode-list] newby fetchnews problem

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Cornelius Krasel wrote:

> > I'm using Tin (tin -g localhost) and it works fine except when starting or
> > rescanning (ctrl Y), it fails to detect new news items. I have to actually go
> > into each newsgroup to see if there is anything new there. Any idea why that
> > would be so?
>
> It indicates that either the groupinfo file is not updated properly or
> that the .overview files in the newsgroups are not updated properly.
> One possible explanation is that fetchnews crashes (which it shouldn't).
> The .overview files are updated automatically as soon as a group is
> entered for reading (as you have observed).

It seems the groupinfo file (?) is "locked" while fetchnews is doing it's
thing. Once fetchnews is finished and has exited Tin updates the new message
count ok.

-Ross

 <http://www.fl.net.au/~rosco>                      [ICQ No. 9391313]
               [change borg to org to reply by email]