[leafnode-list] Annoying bug - was:1.9.11: article numbers (for some groups) have been

Sorry if I am wrong, but I think this bug already exists in 1.9.14.

I explain:
When "fetchnews" removes a group from "interesting.groups" directory because
no access was made during timeout_long days and the -n option was not used,
the "high water mark" (and "low water mark") are set to one (!).
Previously fetched articles (if any) however are still stored.

If I run "texpire" just after, high mark is reset correctly and all will be
OK.
But if I don't and try with a N.R. to access this group I will find it empty
and leafnode will of course re-create the group in the "interesting.groups"
directory.
If I then run "fetchnews", articles for this re-actived group are fetched and
the numbering will start from 2 (if there is no article 2 of course - the
program skips silently over already existing 'numbers').
This leads to some confusion...

I think those two lines in fetchnews.c should be suppressed in future release:
[...]
	    unlink(s);
->	    g->first = 1;
->	    g->last = 1;
	    return server ;
[...]

High water mark should never be reset and this should also solve point 1 from
the "TODO" list for fetch.
We can go up at last to number: 2^31 - 1 (=2147483647) assuming integer are 32
bits long.

Thank you for your reading.

Jeff Grossman wrote:

> That is a problem that was found in 1.9.11.  It is fixed in the 1.9.12
> release.
>
> Jeff
> ---
> Jeff Grossman (jeff@xxxxxxxxxxx)