Re: [leafnode-list] Okay I'm confused.

On Sat, Jun 24, 2000 at 02:28:43PM -0500, Nick Zentena wrote:

> 	To be honest I checked and didn't see any links. I sort of
> figured that would be the right way to do but got confused when I
> didn't see any. Now that I've moved message.id to a new filesystem
> fetchnews is complaing about

They're not symbolic links - they're hard links.  Rather than pointing
at a file by name as a symbolic link does a hard link points at the
actual data on the disk.

If you do a ls -l on one of directories in the spool you'll see
something like:

| -rw-rw-r--    2 news     news         1723 Jun 24 20:36 44624

The "2" is the number of hard links to the file - if you look in
something like your home directory you'll see that most things other
than directories have only one link.

> Jun 24 13:00:10 barley fetchnews[964]: error linking /var/spool/news/message.id/364/<394E3BF2.210369A2@xxxxxxxxx> into comp.os.linux.networking: Invalid cross-device link

That's because you can't have hard links between filesystems.

> 	Is there any easy fix? Right now I'm just going to go back to
> having message.id on the same paration. What's the best way to spilt
> things between two different filesystems? Can I? FWIW I upgraded to

Don't try to split the news spool between filesystems - it won't work
and even if it did it would use more space than having them on one disk.
I haven't checked, but /var/spool/news/leaf.node can probably live on
another filesystem.

--
Mark Brown  mailto:broonie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   (Trying to avoid grumpiness)
            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/