Re: [leafnode-list] romoving groups quickly?

Jim Bowen wrote:

> > It is also safer to remove the entire directory in the spool.
> > e.g. If your group name is: 'my.group.to.remove'
> >
> > rm -f /var/spool/news/my/group/to/remove/*
> > rm -f /var/spool/news/my/group/to/remove/.overview
> > rmdir /var/spool/news/my/group/to/remove      (in most cases)
>
> Last time I tried that, it left the messages in
> /var/spool/news/message.id/nnn (obviously enough), but, since they were no
> longer linked to in the groups, texpire never unlinked them. This meant that
> they stayed around pretty much forever. Unless texpire has been changed

Yes, you have to run also texipre because messages in
/var/spool/news/message.id
are not deleted, but texpire do the job correctly by removing those files.
(expiremsgid  function)

You can also check the result with the command:
       find /var/spool/news/message.id  -type f -links 1 [-print]

> (anyone?), a better option would be to add a zero day expiry timer for the
> group in the config file, and run texpire manually.

Yes perhaps... I haven't tried that.
Anyway, you have to delete before and *manually* the appropriate file in
/var/spool/news/interesting.groups/
otherwise the directory and empty parents directories will not be deleted.

I persist to think that adding an option in applyfilter to do the entire job
would be an interesting feature.

oTr